Tuesday 11 January 2011

My understanding of diplomacy today






I emabarked on this module completely ignorant to what was meant by 'new diplomacy' and I feel that I am leaving it with the same confusion. This is not due to lack of interest, nor lack of reading or understanding but because I believe that the new diplomacy is not a new experience. Furthermore by categorizing diplomacy by traditional and new we are disregardful of the continuous evolution of the subject and process, subsequently naming too many differences as the same.



Of what I understand today I can conclude that every international situation requires a different form of diplomacy, whereas a few months ago I would have understood that secrecy was used by imperialist individuals caring little for ethics.



I would never have thought that I could find examples of diplomacy in a daily newspaper, however the majority of information and case studies for this blog have come from the Guardian. I believe this news is so accessible because the role of the diplomat is evolving aswell, something I was never aware of.



The writer that has interested me the most during this course is Joseph Nye. Nye has had such a crucial involvment in American foreign policy making and International Relations, and I couldn't agree more with the importance of smart power. Crucially we can see how smart power as a tool of foreign policy is debated and implemented in USA, in particular with Hilary Clinton and Barak Obama.




With this basic grasp of diplomacy now it is possible to follow foreign policy from a more critical standpoint and to analyse the diplomatic process's relevance in international relations.


In my opinon the study of diplomacy is vital in order to anticipate future international tensions or conflict because the pursuit of peace remains a global imperative.


No comments:

Post a Comment